Other Helpful Resources

Community Stroke Advisor

Lynette Jones is the Community Stroke Advisor and is employed by the Stroke Foundation of New Zealand to support and advocate on behalf of the stroke-affected person, their caregiver and family. Lynette’s contact details are below:

Phone: (07) 856 1654

Email: north.waikato@stroke.org.nz

“Its my Health” – Midlands Health Network

Medical services in the network offer funded services such as podiatry and allow direct email contact with your doctor and online access from home to all your personal medical records.

Phone: 07 839 2888

Address: Norris Ward McKinnon House, 711 Victoria St, Hamilton

Lottery Grant for individuals with a (communication) disability

This program funds the purchase equipment for communication disabilities (e.g. specialized computer equipment). Making an application: Fill out application from
website (see link below), get medical practitioner to complete last section, attach letter of support from a health professional. Send or email to the Department of
Internal Affairs.

– No referral needed, advisor contact recommended on 0800 number below.
– Grants rarely exceed $10,000.

Phone: 0800 824 824

Address: No physical address

Disability Support Service (DSS)

Advice and support helpline for people with disabilities, to contact if you have a question about Ministry-funded disability services, or if you need to make a

Phone: 0800 373 664

Address: No physical address

Community Occupational Therapist

Therapists prioritise people who are experiencing multiple falls or need hoist transfers, over less urgent needs. If not urgent, the wait list can be from around 2-4
months. They issue Enable equipment (see under Mobility Aids). The occupational therapists also do support letters for lottery grants and for housing by the Ministry of Social Development (previously Housing NZ – see under Home Alterations/Heating/Housing).

– Referrals can be from any registered health professional: doctor, nurse, social worker, occupational therapist, physiotherapist, dietician etc.
– They fund items over $50 only, under $50 is self-funded.

Address: No physical address

Attitude Live

Is led by people with the lived experience of disability and embraces the voice of the broader disability community, and is passionate about promoting possibilities. It has many resources and a directory page of several helpful organizations. Funded by ACC, Ministry of Social Development, and donations.


A website directory of disability information for the use by disabled people, (their families, whanau, caregivers) and health professionals.

Web health

Provides an online directory that helps find a health or social service for your unique need.

Waikato Hospital

This website provides links to services under the Waikato district health board.


The Eldernet site includes a nationwide database directory and information about services for older people in New Zealand on: community groups and organisations,
retirement villages and lifestyle villages and living, home help services, respite care and short term options, aged care services, rest homes, residential care, private hospitals, dementia care, public hospitals and other third age services for seniors.

CCS Disability Action

With sixteen branches around the country, they provide frontline support and services, and create local awareness and education around disability issues. They
support people with disabilities to be ‘in the driver’s seat’ of their life, to achieve their own dreams and aspirations – by having the skills, confidence and resources to influence family, friends, colleagues, society and government.

Phone: 0800 227 2255 or 07 853 9761

Address: 17 Claudelands Road, Hamilton

Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)

Citizens Advice Bureau is a voluntary organisation providing free, confidential information and advice to anyone about any query or problem.

– No referral or appointment necessary.
– No cost.

Phone: 07 839 0395 or 07 839 1083

Email: cab.hamilton@xtra.co.nz

Address: 55 Victoria St, & Garden Place, Hamilton

Your Doctor

It is often possible to call and request a referral by the doctor or nurse, if you have already discussed specific concerns with your doctor. This can be done sometimes instead of booking and paying for another appointment. You can then just pick up the referral from nurse or reception.

If needed the Community Stroke Advisor can come to doctor appointments with you for support.